/usr/lib/aliases name format

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Fri Jan 17 06:11:21 AEST 1986

> > ...noting that the mailer is the one defined with the name "local", not
>                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Sorry, but I did not understand the phrase I put up-arrows under.

The "sendmail" confguration file contains rules for parsing and modifying
addresses.  When an address has been fully parsed and modified, the message
is sent out; "sendmail" recognizes that it's done with an address by a rule
which includes an indication like

	$#local $:$n

on its right-hand side.  This means that the mail should be delivered by the
mailer defined with the name "local"; a mailer is generally a program, and
"sendmail" runs that program.  Mailers are defined with lines in the
configuration file like:

	Mlocal,	P=/bin/mail, F=rlsDFMmnP, S=10, R=20, A=mail -d $u

where "M" is the first character on the line, and the token that follows it
is the name of the mailer, so this line defines a mailer with the name
"local".

For further quesions, read the "sendmail" documentation.

	Guy Harris