Database software for UNIX systems

Ed Gould ed at mtxinu.UUCP
Wed Jan 29 04:33:43 AEST 1986

>> ...  Ingres also requires mods to the kernel...
>
>Actually, Ingres has a locking pseuodo device driver. I do not think that
>adding a "device" driver is equivalent to "mods to the kernel" since you
>are not changing kernel source code.

There are several versions of Ingres.  The current commercial version
from RTI does not require kernel mods, although older versions did.
The current mechanism just adds a driver.  Research Ingres, running
on 4.2/4.3BSD uses a user-level lock manager that communicates with
the database software via a socket.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."