Extended file system on UNIX 4.2/4.3 BSD

Ed Gould ed at mtxinu.UUCP
Tue Jan 7 07:20:32 AEST 1986

In article <161 at nyit.UUCP> rick at nyit.UUCP (Rick Ace) writes:

>I'm not sure if you'd *want* to buy it.  Our site (NYIT) tried to purchase
>the NFS source from Sun under an educational license agreement.  Sun
>sent us licensing paperwork for the NFS software.  Among other things,
>we were asked to supply the names of five people who would be working
>with the NFS software, along with their signatures, home addresses, and
>(dig dis) Social Security numbers.  Real fast, I got on the blower to
>our counsel, who found the request to be extraordinary and somewhat
>suspicious; he advised us not to comply.

When we had to sign a similar agreement with Sun, some of us (myself
included) refused to give our SSNs.  Sun said that it was OK.
(Note that it's *illegal* even to ask for a SSN in this context without
a disclaimer that the SSN is not required.)  The home address part was
suspicious but not enough to bother us;  asking who would be working on the
code seemed reasonable given that they (Sun) wanted more *real*
protection than AT&T gets from their trade secret license.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."