public domain RFS

Wayne Power wmp at vaxine.UUCP
Thu Jan 23 12:57:24 AEST 1986

I'd imagine this will generate some interest.  It is for such gems that I keep
my site on the net.  If this is not the appropriate news group for this
discussion, please advise.

Re: the name.  If I can't have it, it's vaporware to me.  I think AT&T should
come up with another name if they ever release their ?FS. :-)

I've had it up on 4 vaxen running 4.2 for about a week.  The kernels seem as
stable as the old ones.  The installation procedure is incredibly simple and
safe, as advertized.  And, yes folks, it works.  It sure is nice to say
something like...

        % grep vt100 /{,this_vax,that_vax,the_other}/etc/ttytype

I've yet to find a utility that gets confused by RFS, but I have encountered a
few oddities.

        % ls /some_vax/some_other_vax

...seems to hang the server on some_vax and all subsequent processes which try
to use it.  The server and the offending process are unkillable.  However, you
can do a ps and kill the offending user.

        % cd /some_other_vax/bin
        % pwd

...tries to run ./pwd.  Running any remote binary causes "panic: iput" and the
local machine goes right on down.  Shell scripts work, but too well.

        % /some_other_vax/path/name/foo

...will execute foo even if there are no x bits on.  If you're in a remote
directory...

        % ls > ls
           or
        % ps > ps

...is a noop because the shell opens the file for writing, then runs it.

These quirks must be fixed before I'd think of unleashing RFS on my users.
Any help will be appreciated.  I'll post any fixes or mods we come up with.
We'll probably make the server honor /etc/hosts.equiv for our site.

Thank you, Todd.  Nice work.

--wmp  (Wayne Power)
                        Automatix, Inc.
                        Billerica, MA