floppy-tape driver

Stu Heiss stu at jpusa1.UUCP
Sat Jan 18 06:52:28 AEST 1986

line eater?

I'm looking into the feasability of hooking an inexpensive tape to the
existing floppy interface.  The interface supports both 8in and 5.25in
drives although the driver only supports 8in.  I know of one drive that
supposedly can be driven from a floppy interface, the Cipher 525.  Has
anyone tried to do something like this?  Any recomendations on specific
drives, Cipher or otherwise?  Any suggestions as to what the existing
driver would have to do differently?  Would this require a re-write or
could the existing driver be modified/work as-is?  The literature blurb
on the Cipher says that the "525 is hardware-compatible with either
regular or mini-floppy conrollers and operates as a slow emulation of
the floppy disk with minumal software changes."  The required interface
is the standard SA450 or SA850.  This sounds too easy - am I missing
something?  Any thoughts/comments/flames welcome.  Please reply by
mail.

		Thanks in advance, Stu Heiss {ihnp4!jpusa1!stu}
--
Stu Heiss {ihnp4!jpusa1!stu}