Tar(1) portability???

Barry Shein bzs%bostonu.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa
Sat Jan 11 00:53:22 AEST 1986

>From: Greg Earle <earle%smeagol.uucp at BRL.ARPA>
>I used
>	tar cvbf 20 /dev/nrmt0 <file>
>on the Sun side (on a CDC 9 track), and then mt eof 2 to write end-of-tape.
>When I took it down to the Perkin-Elmer site, an attempt to
>	tar tvbf 20 /dev/rmt/0m
>yielded back-and-forth motions on the tape drive (an older Cipher model),
>and a 'tar: read error' from tar.

Some of those CDC drives can not handle the blocking factor of 20, they
cannot read physical blocks >8K, use a smaller blocking factor when writing
the tape, I went through this a few months back with my 3B5 also, yes it's
brain-damaged, no, there's probably no other way around it. (And again, the
caveat, I still claim I blew the breaker twice on my TU78 using a blocking
factor of 1 so maybe for saftey's sake try something like 5.)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University