setuid program

slesh at fth-1.arpa slesh at fth-1.arpa
Thu Jan 23 09:08:43 AEST 1986

     Greetings from the neophyte Unix systems administrators at Fort
Huachuca!!

     Our users are beginning to employ SCCS and are demanding (amoung
many other capabilities) an SCCS "setuid" program to help them control
access to their files.  We have developed a couple of elementary
programs for this purpose but neither of them are neat, slick or
elegant.

HOW YOU CAN HELP:
     Clever people that we are, we believe that we are not the first
systems administrators faced with this requirement.  We think there is
a very good chance that somebody out there in 'netland' DOES have
something that is neat, slick and elegant; that furthermore that
benefactor has placed this program in the public domain; and that
almost everybody else in Unix-land knows what it is called; and
finally that somebody wouldn't mind telling us its name.

DEFINITIONS:
"neat, slick and elegant" - a table-driven program which permits
selected update priviledges for different users.  A program easily
maintained and easily changed for the very few user requirements not
already anticipated.