CPU usage of telnetd

Phil Ngai phil at amdcad.UUCP
Tue Mar 25 18:38:46 AEST 1986

In article <572 at nrcvax.UUCP> jt at nrcvax.UUCP (Jerry Toporek) writes:
>Phil:
>
>I don't know if you are referencing our product or not, but from the des-
>cription you certainly might be.

No, I had someone else in mind.

>Our net terminal driver looks like a DMF only in the sense that it interfaces
>with the VMS terminal class handler just like a DMF, or DZ, or whatever.

What I meant was they had a Unibus board with the same CSRs as a real
DMF.  Obviously, you lose the ability to do real networking with this
kind of interface.

>In this case a good bit of
>resource can be wasted passing off output to the telnet daemon to pass onn to
>the net.  (This is what we were doing in our initial version.)  This can be
>improved upon by arranging to pass data received by the terminal driver from
>the class handler directly to the network driver.  (This is what we now do.

This sounds like a good idea. Can you make Unix do this too?
--
 "Welcome to the Hotel California...
  You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil at decwrl.dec.com