4.2bsd kernel auto-nicing, scheduling

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Mon Mar 3 13:56:15 AEST 1986

> Some fairly viable work has been done on SHARE scheduling on UNIX
> in Australia.  You should check it out.  It actually uses some
> algorithms, and was even designed.

Given that I don't speak English or Australian, just whatever we speak here
in the USofA (no, it's not American, considering Canadians don't speak
exactly the same language either, and they're (North) Americans as well),
what do you mean by "algorithms" here?  Over here, we tend to think
"algorithm" as meaning any procedure of the sort executed by a computer,
whether it's well thought-out or specified or not.  You may think of
auto-nicing as a hack (I certainly do), but by my definition the procedure
that implements it certainly qualifies as an algorithm....
--
	Guy Harris
	guy at sun.arpa	(yes, really)