Shell history

Joseph S. D. Yao jsdy at hadron.UUCP
Wed Mar 26 14:39:11 AEST 1986

In article <331 at hadron.UUCP> jsdy at hadron.UUCP (I) write:
>In article <5924 at mordor.UUCP> jdb at mordor.UUCP (John Bruner) writes:
>>Actually, the Bourne shell isn't a simple superset of the V6 (Thompson?)
>My memory says "Ritchie."

On better authority, Bruner was right and I was wrong.

>							  ...  (No,
>neither is the infamous "Bourne-again" shell.)

The "Bourne-again shell," to my knowledge, was a term jokingly used
after a talk by Dave Yost.  Dave noted that people's preference in
editors was largely a "religious issue" -- so he assumed the guise of
a preacher and tried to convert folk to the one, true, holy editor.
He was asked whether this required the Bourne-again shell.  I wasn't
aware that this term had passed into any more common usage.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy at seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}