unix <-> vms file transfer

HOWARD HANTMAN hlh at raybed2.UUCP
Thu Mar 27 11:42:19 AEST 1986

While I know of no "uucp" for VMS systems, we have also encountered the
problem of Unix to VMS file transfer. Our solution was to use the
public-domain program "kermit". Versions exist for both VMS and Unix systems,
and handling of object files is implemented (at least in the latest release).
As a public-domain system you can get a copy from anyone currently in
possesion of it, or from the Authors (Columbia University) for the price
of the tapes to put it on. In its distributed state it requires manual
selection of communication lines, etc. rather than the automated process
used by uucp. If this is a problem, a good hacker can modify it to queue
requests, retry transmission over preset lines, and log into and out of the
remote system by itself just like uucp. This is, in fact, the way we are
running it here.

						Howard Hantman
						System Software Engineer
						Raytheon MSD, Bedford