Shell history

chris at umcp-cs.UUCP chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Fri Mar 7 22:40:53 AEST 1986

In article <1512 at brl-smoke.ARPA> Robert_Toxen%anvil.UUCP at harvard.harvard.edu
writes (in response to a somewhat qualified statement by me that csh was
written before sh):

>Sorry, no! Bourne shell came before csh and Bill Joy incorporated Bourne's
>ideas into csh, not the other way 'round.

Here (with permission) is a quote from Joe Kalash at UC Berkeley:

	The original versions of C shell were written on V6 computers
	here (at Berkeley). While it was written before V7 was
	brought up here (i.e. before Bill really had access to
	Bourne's sh), it was in fact written AFTER V7 was available.

So csh was written independently, at any rate.  There may have
been cross-fertilization afterward, but the original csh design
(if you can call it a design :-/) was not based on the V7 shell.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1415)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu