Shell history [again]

John Mashey mash at mips.UUCP
Sun Mar 30 09:18:13 AEST 1986

Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy at seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP} writes:
> In article <5924 at mordor.UUCP> jdb at mordor.UUCP (John Bruner) writes:
> >Actually, the Bourne shell isn't a simple superset of the V6 (Thompson?)
> My memory says "Ritchie."
No. Thompson.

> >It may be true that the Bourne shell is a superset of the PWB 1.0
> >(Mashey?) shell; I had no opportunity to use it.
>
> There's a lot different, though Bourne indubitably started with the
> Mashey shell.  (Look it up in BSTJ whatever, which I don't have right
> here.)  For the future of the shell, though, see the Korn shell plus
> extensions paralleling that made by someone here on the Net.  (No,
> neither is the infamous "Bourne-again" shell.)
Steve indubiately did not start from mine, although there was a great
deal of interaction, joint evolution, discussion, etc.  If you look it up,
it says it took features from the original UNIX shell & from the PWB/UNIX
shell, and thanks DMR & I for many discussions [Ken was off at UCB while
much of this was going on.] I doubt that any actual code from the PWB
shell was in Steve's.
UUCP: 	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!mash, DDD:  	408-720-1700, x253