Conventional daemons

Joseph S. D. Yao jsdy at hadron.UUCP
Sun Mar 23 03:15:52 AEST 1986

In article <261 at bu-cs.UUCP> ccc at bu-cs.UUCP (Cameron Carson) writes:
>	int s;
>	for (s = 0; s < SOME_NUM; s++)
>		(void) close(s);
>	(void) open("/",0);
>	(void) dup2(0,1);
>	(void) dup2(0,2);
>My question is: why open "/" ?  Why not open something a little
>less vital like, say, /dev/null?

For what it's worth, this is exactly what I have done for every
daemon I have had to write or fix.  However, "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it."  Oh, I do freopen stdout as /dev/console, often.

I hope you meant "/dev/tty" instead of "dev/tty" later on.  Also,
a setpgrp() is usually part of this disassociation process.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy at seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}