I HATE DBX! I HATE DBX!

feldman at ccvaxa.UUCP feldman at ccvaxa.UUCP
Fri Mar 21 21:50:00 AEST 1986

There are at least 3 VAX versions of dbx that I've seen: 4.2, a net.sources
update to 4.2, and 4.3 beta.  The 4.3 beta version is a cut above the others
because it introduces real macros, not just keyword substitutions.  In part
this allows the user to overcome the most frustrating thing about dbx,
namely the amount of typing necessary to do anything.  Of course, it takes
some forethought and experiance to set up useful macros, and they differ
from task to task, but for a drawn out development cycle, I found that it
is a great improvement over the earlier versions.

I'm still disappointed that <CR> doesn't work as in adb.  At least '.' works.

For large debugees, the size of the symbol table is an annoyance.  I've found
that compiling just those files that are in doubt or under development with
-g, and linking -g cuts the symbol table overhead a lot.  You need to be aware
that continuing or stepping such that control returns out into code without
the -g symbols will cause dbx to lose its grip.  But "stop in" someplace that
has debugging symbols will usually be enough to get the job done.

It would be nice if the rest of the world could benefit from Sun's work on their
compilers that cuts the redundancy in the symbol table caused by common include
files.

Mike Feldman
Gould Computer Systems, Urbana IL