port not working!!

smith at ethos.UUCP smith at ethos.UUCP
Sun Mar 9 07:39:47 AEST 1986

In article <125 at ganehd.UUCP> bwc at ganehd.UUCP (Brantley Coile) writes:

>Does anyone know anything about the serial port on the back of the
>AT&T UNIX PC.  We are trying to use it for a terminal port but it will
>hang after a random amount of time.  Sometimes it is in one of our programs,
>sometimes it is runnig the getty.  When it you try to 'stty' the port after
>it hanges stty hangs.  When you kill stty it reports that it couldn't open
>the port.

I know several UNIX pc owners who have had similar problems,
including myself.  I called the Hotline to report on it, and they
said they "knew about it" and were working on the problem.
Although they have my name, address, and phone number, and
promised to call back, I haven't heard from them.  I can only
assume they haven't fixed it yet.  The AT&T representative hinted
that a complete fix might not be available until the next version
of the software (4.0?).

The problem occurs less frequently for me now that I installed
the HDB uucp software (with uugetty) that I got from THE STORE!
I am unclear as to exactly what is causing the problem, and
because of that have no clear idea on how to solve it.