CPU usage of telnetd

Jerry Toporek jt at nrcvax.UUCP
Fri Mar 28 06:47:40 AEST 1986

In article <11048 at amdcad.UUCP> phil at amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <572 at nrcvax.UUCP> jt at nrcvax.UUCP (Jerry Toporek) writes:
>>In this case a good bit of
>>resource can be wasted passing off output to the telnet daemon to pass onn to
>>the net.  (This is what we were doing in our initial version.)  This can be
>>improved upon by arranging to pass data received by the terminal driver from
>>the class handler directly to the network driver.  (This is what we now do.
>
>This sounds like a good idea. Can you make Unix do this too?

Well, I don't know much about driver to driver communication under Unix.  When
you mentioned the DMF lookalike I thought you were probably talking about VMS
since the usual trick for doing a net tty driver on VMS is to "look like" a
real device.

--
Jerry Toporek               <`@-@'>             Network Research Corp.