streaming tape device driver wanted

Martin Stanley mts at ms.UUCP
Wed Mar 19 11:04:34 AEST 1986

I am attempting to write a device driver for a Cipher 525 streaming tape
drive.  This is the type of drive that looks like a (very large) floppy
disk and attaches to an existing floppy disk controller. The environment
is System Vr1 (UniPlus+) on a 68k box.

The main problem I am having is figuring out how to keep the thing
streaming.  If it has to go into start/stop mode the performance will be
terrible. Also, in order to format the tape, it must get up to streaming
speed.

Anyone out there have any experience with this sort of thing.  Any
help/advice (short of scrapping the whole mess), will be greatly
appreciated.
--
------
Martin Stanley

USENET:     {decvax,ihnp4,linus,uw-beaver}!utcsri!utai!ms!mts
CSNET:      mts at toronto
ARPANET:    mts.toronto at csnet-relay