UNIX Futures

Ipse dixit ken at rochester.UUCP
Mon Mar 10 03:43:46 AEST 1986

In article <168 at desint.UUCP> geoff at desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) writes:
>The reason Dennis Ritchie qualifies as a genius is because when we say
>"it sure would be nice to..." to him, he responds "yup, sure would"
>instead of "hey, yeah, I'll go hack it in."

Reluctance to introduce new "features", sure, that is important.  But I
think also it's more hindsight than foresight. You have to be able to
see how other people's hacks miss the mark to come up with a
simplifying/unifying concept.  But it still takes genius.

There was a paper on Unix hacker types - innovator, fixer,
consolidator, etc.  in some past Usenix proceedings. Anyone have the
reference?

	Ken
UUCP: ..!{allegra,decvax,seismo}!rochester!ken ARPA: ken at rochester.arpa
Snail: CS Dept., U. of Roch., NY 14627. Voice: Ken!