Unix standard output buffer problem

throopw at dg_rtp.UUCP throopw at dg_rtp.UUCP
Fri Mar 7 09:46:32 AEST 1986

> I have checked the exec source and it does not appear to mess
> with it [alter the whether-to-buffer flag] either.

Uh.... yeah.  I'm not sure what you think "exec" does, but on most
Unix(*)-like operating systems it does indeed "mess with" *all* the
globally persistant variables in the executable image it creates.  In
particular, it *creates* them all, giving them the values assigned them
at link-time.

To answer your question directly, there is *no* *way* to do what you
said you wanted to do.  Altering an address space before an exec had
*better* *not* have any effect on the address space seen after the exec,
or exec just isn't doing it's job.  The only way to alter the address
space gotten by execing an executable image is to patch the image on
disk (or link a new one).

--
* Unix is a trademark of ATT