sys5, job control, etc.

Brandon Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Tue Mar 4 09:38:22 AEST 1986

Expires:

Quoted from <67 at cstvax.UUCP> ["Re: UNIX Futures"], by scott at cstvax.UUCP (Scott Larnach)...
+---------------
| The one and only real thing which bugs me about system V is the
| total lack of job control. e.g. in the mail program and having to check
| something out .. fancy being faced with either writing your mail
| out (and later having to read it in again), or having to fork up
| another shell. With a big load up either of these options can be
| painful. The functionality of ^Z and fg is tremendous!
+---------------

For me, at least, sxt's would be enough.  So I'm seeing about hacking a
generic sxt driver into our sys3 (soon to be sys5?).  The only problem so
far is that I can't add a control character to Unix (I can add device drivers,
I can't modify existing ones) so I have to give up the quit character.  (If
I could only patch in c_cc[6]...)  This thing will be supersimplistic but will
do what I want.

--Brandon
--
In mid-winter, all of us Midwesterners would *love* a taste of California...
	(r-r-r-rumbleSHA-A-KE!!!)		      ...but not *that* badly!

decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!allbery  ncoast!allbery at Case.CSNET  ncoast!tdi2!brandon
(ncoast!tdi2!root for business) 6615 Center St. #A1-105, Mentor, OH 44060-4101
Phone: +01 216 974 9210      CIS 74106,1032      MCI MAIL BALLBERY (part-time)
      >>> Nominate Mark Leeper for a Hugo as Best Fan Writer of '85 <<<
(I disagree with many of his reviews, but that's just me.  He's better than
 most of what I see.  Let's show the world what the NET is!)