hayes smart-modems and SYSV unix

tp at ndm20 tp at ndm20
Tue Mar 11 02:35:00 AEST 1986

>system. The problem is as follows; If I force DSR and CD high via the switch
>settings and have the system at a run level such that the modem port is
>disabled the dialer works fine using tip, kermit, uucp, etc. However If I
>set the run level such that the modem port is enabled the Hayes and the
>Cadmus immediately start trading login-illegal command messages causing system
>to come to a grinding halt. If I set the DSR-CD low via the switch settings
>the Hayes and the Cadmus work fine answering the phone whenever called,
>however, tip,kermit,uucp no longer work since CD needs to high for the
>modem to receive dialer commands. What is the proper switch settings, cable
>configuration and run levels to get the Hayes to work both as a dialin and
>dialout port ???

The one trick that I have found is that I have to set the switches to
disable echo and result codes.  set switch 3 UP, switch 4  DOWN.  The
equivalent command is ATE0Q1.  You should  then be  able to configure
CD/DTR to suit your system.   This makes  the modem  a bit  more of a
pain to use, but it will work.  Below  is a  line from  my L.sys with
irrelevant information removed showing what it takes to make it dial.

sys Any,1 tty1 1200 tty1 "" ATHMDT5551212 "" \r ogin:--ogin:-\r-ogin:-\b-ogin: username word: password

Terry Poot
Nathan D. Maier Consulting Engineers
(214)739-4741
Usenet: ...!{allegra|ihnp4}!convex!smu!ndm20!tp
CSNET:  ndm20!tp at smu
ARPA:   ndm20!tp%smu at csnet-relay.ARPA