Symbolic user names and RFS

Lindsay F. Marshall ncx at cheviot.uucp
Tue Mar 4 02:30:10 AEST 1986

In article <788 at im4u.UUCP> jsq at im4u.UUCP (John Quarterman) writes:
>Given Sun's NFS and only Sun's NFS, uniform
>uids for all hosts using it are indeed bloody well imperative.

We have a misunderstanding here. Given what you say about NFS the
original article makes perfect sense, HOWEVER my (very careful) reading
of it and your your article did not extract this meaning from it. It was
not at all obvious that you were talking about a "feature" of the NFS,
but now ots all clear stop the flaming. What is the general feeling about
security problems caused by uniform name spaces (if any) - does anyone
have any thoughts???

	Lindsay