I HATE DBX! I HATE DBX!

Spencer W. Thomas thomas at utah-gr.UUCP
Sun Mar 9 07:38:50 AEST 1986

In article <169 at gsg.UUCP> kathy at gsg.UUCP (Kathryn Smith) writes:

After running some tests then recomiling the
>application to use SDB instead, it turned out that DBX requires somewhere
>between 10 and 15 times the memory resources that the same program compiled with
>SDB requires.

The reason for this is that dbx knows so much more about your program.
Basically, you are seeing the difference in the symbol table sizes
between sdb and dbx.  Dbx also has all the type information compiled
into the symbol table.  If you are running programs that are so big you
can only run one dbx at a time, I would look at the sizes of your swap
partitions and how much main memory you've got.  (You didn't say exactly
why you could only run one at a time, but I assume it must be one of
these.)  Usually, big symbol tables come from big programs, and big
programs have a tendency to eventually fill memory.

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas at utah-cs.ARPA)