UNIX Futures

gwyn at brl-smoke.UUCP gwyn at brl-smoke.UUCP
Sun Mar 9 10:05:49 AEST 1986

In article <1200 at ulysses.UUCP> ggs at ulysses.UUCP (Griff Smith) writes:
>One comment in my defense: job control works in Eighth edition UNIX
>(V8).  I don't know whether this is an oversight by the system impurity
>hit squad or a conscious effort to perserve an occasionally useful
>feature.

I am curious about how this is accomplished; I don't see any
SIGSTOP-generating character defined in TTYLD(4) (standard
terminal handler line discipline).  Perhaps there is an extra
module slipped into place in your terminal stream; such a
critter could easily catch e.g. ^Z and post a SIGSTOP.  Streams
make it easy to add features like this; you could even have a
"Hazeltine tilde kludge" module..