UNIX Futures

Larry Campbell campbell at maynard.UUCP
Thu Mar 6 22:30:17 AEST 1986

> It's also nice to be able to stop things some times.  If I have just
> gotten part way into a "make" and I remember that I missed something, I
> just stop the "make" while it fix the problem.  I also like having the
> option of stopping a suspected run-away process instead of blowing it
> out of the water.  Would you drive a car without brakes?
> --
> Griff Smith	AT&T (Bell Laboratories), Murray Hill
> Phone:		(201) 582-7736
> Internet:	ggs at ulysses.uucp
> UUCP:		ulysses!ggs  ( {allegra|ihnp4}!ulysses!ggs )

It is nice to be able to pause things sometimes.  I think this is a
VENIX enhancement, but VENIX has suspend and resume commands (and the
corresponding system calls) to pause and then resume a process.  Yes,
it is a bit more of a pain to go to another window, run ps, then issue
a suspend command.

I'd like to have job control.  But given a choice between job control
and windows, I'll take windows.
--
Larry Campbell                                 The Boston Software Works, Inc.
ARPA: maynard.UUCP:campbell at harvard.ARPA       120 Fulton Street