Size of struct not same on Ultrix as on v7

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Wed Mar 26 08:37:05 AEST 1986

In article <258 at cirl.UUCP> das at cirl.UUCP writes:

>... We are thus in the process of porting programs written on v7
>to Ultrix.  One major problem has been that struct's appear not to
>be the same size when compiled on Ultrix as they are when compiled
>on v7.  This appears to be true for 4.2bsd as well.

Welcome to the wonderful world of heterogeneity.  No one ever said
your structures would look the same.  If you want the data file to
contain a machine independent byte stream, you have to read and
write a machine independent byte stream.  There is no reliable
alternative.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1415)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu