flock(2) on 4.2bsd

David Melman davem at sdcrdcf.UUCP
Tue Mar 25 07:35:50 AEST 1986

I am using the LOCK_EX (exclusive lock) operation on a file.
The manual states that if a lock already exists, the call should
block until lock is available.  But in testing,
if the lock exits, flock returns with an error, EWOULDBLOCK.

It behaves as if I specified (LOCK_EX|LOCK_NB) for the operation,
the LOCK_NB being no blocking, but I have NOT!

Am I doing something wrong?

David  Melman
uucp: sdcrdcf!davem
Subject: mail

I removed the 'm' flag from our uucp mailer in our sendmail.cf file.
Now multiple addresses reach their destinations on burdvax.

David