ditroff on Goulds

gwyn at brl-smoke.UUCP gwyn at brl-smoke.UUCP
Sun Mar 30 09:23:05 AEST 1986

In article <741 at rti-sel.UUCP> trt at rti-sel.UUCP (Tom Truscott) writes:
>There is also a problem in pic due to a 'bug' in yacc:
>objects of type YYSTYPE are not aligned correctly when makeattr is called
>(the second arg is correctly declared YYSTYPE in misc.c
>but not passed that way from pic.y).
>The symptom is that pic core dumps, the fix is to add a middle
>dummy argument in calls to makeattr so that the alignment is correct.

This isn't a proper fix.  DWB 1.0 "pic" has a better one.

>On a vaguely related subject, we are expecting release 2
>of the Documenter's Workbench any day now.  Is anyone else expecting same,
>or are we naive?  We have been unable to get any documentation
>on it, of any sort, and indeed documentation is claimed to be the
>reason it was not out in early March.
>It has been six years since Brian Kernighan knocked out ditroff,
>and that is plenty of time to improve it to support a zillion typesetters,
>fonts, and macro packages, providing better graphics than old pic,
>generalized index generation, and other utilities with simplify
>document preparation and formatting.  Is this a dream?

The only rumors I have on the contents of DWB 2.0 are that it
includes more programmability in "pic", and a new preprocessor
"grap" for generating graphs in typeset documents.  These
features are described in AT&T Bell Labs CSTRs #116 and #114.

There are several things I could wish that AT&T would do for
DWB 2.0 that I doubt they will, so I fully expect to have to
merge my DWB 1.0 enhancements and bug fixes into 2.0.  Sigh.