7 option for cc

VLD/VMB gwyn at BRL.ARPA
Thu Mar 20 14:33:01 AEST 1986

The BRL UNIX System V emulation "cc -7" option merely substitutes
the native Berkeley include directory and C library in place of
the System V versions, while continuing to use the AT&T UNIX
System V VAX C preprocessor, compiler, and code generator.

There was not enough information in your sample code to be sure
what the problem is, but I did notice the absence of any
declaration for the variable `file'.  My guess is that the fopen
failed, since `file' was garbage, and then the fprintf to stderr
died when it tried to print `file' as a string.  Run a debugger
(e.g. "adb" $C command) on the core image to see where it died.

Incidentally, the BRL UNIX System V emulation C library includes
emulations for the UNIX System V system calls.

You should address BRL UNIX System V emulation questions to me
directly <Gwyn at BRL.ARPA>, rather than to the news group.
(I am answering this with copy to the news group just in case
someone else is now curious about the answer.)