UUCP over a hardwired serial line

Aramini aramini at topaz.RUTGERS.EDU
Sat May 10 11:29:34 AEST 1986

I am trying to bring up a UUCP connection between two SUN workstations
via a serial cable connecting a serial port of one SUN to a serial
port of the other SUN (this is a temporarly kludge until we get
ethernet).  One is a SUN 2 and the other is a SUN 3, both running
version 3.0 of the system software.  I followed the instructions as
best as I could in the manual on how to bring up UUCP on both ends.  I
also verified that serial communication was established by catting a
file the serial port on one SUN and catting in from the serial port on
the other SUN.  One thing that I am uncertain about is if I need to
enable logins on the serial port of one (or both) of the SUN's.  I've
tried various combinations of allowing or disallowing login's on both
machines, but mail I try sending from one machine to the other never
gets delivered.  The file /usr/spool/uucp/LOGFILE shows error messages
to the effect that calls to the other machine failed and/or something
about there being no device, or something to that effect.

If anyone has experience with setting up UUCP over a dedicated serial
line between 2 UNIX systems (not necessarily SUN's) and can give me
some constructive  advice, please let me know.

I do not read net news regularly, so I'd appreciate it if you are
replying to send me electronic mail directly, and/or call me on the
phone.

-Michael J. Aramini
 ARAMINI at RED.RUTGERS.EDU
 ...!topaz!aramini