Shared Terminal Under Ultrix 1.2 (bsd 4.3)

Frederick M. Avolio avolio at decuac.DEC.COM
Sat May 24 05:42:59 AEST 1986

In article <328 at batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU>, hurf at batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Hurf Sheldon) writes:
>  In the documentation for the /etc/ttys file there is an option
> of declaring a tty shared. Does that allow getty to sit active on
> a port and allow using the port as an out device as well?
>   What I want to accomplish is to have a dialout line also be a dial
> in line with login prompt, etc. ...

That is exactly what it is made for -- to allow dialin and dialout on
the same line. With your Ultrix-{32,32m} V1.2 system, you do the
following:

	1. Make sure the port has modem control on it (via the flags
	in the conf file for the system) and rebuild vmunix if you
	changed anything.

	2. Edit /etc/ttys so that the line is marked `shared on' (such
	as this:

ttyd0   "/etc/getty d1200" dialup       on modem shared

	3. Make sure the node in /dev is owned by uucp.

	4. kill -1 1

This should allow you to dialout on the same line as the getty is
running.  The getty stays there but is locked out of reading from or
writing to the device while it is used for dialout.

It works for me...
--
Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center
INET: avolio at decuac.DEC.COM				* Fight the Fight *