Need Unix DBMS info

Greg McGary gm at lmi-angel.UUCP
Sun May 18 13:26:45 AEST 1986

I need evaluations on Unix DBMS products.  The `big names' that I
know of are Unify, Oracle, and Ingres.  What others are available?
For each product, I need answers to the following:

* What data model does the DBMS use?
	I know everyone claims to be Relational, but some
	turn out to be network-model under the hood.

* What level of locking is supported?  database? record? field?

* What type of security is implemented?

* What is performance like?  Does it use the UNIX file system or raw disk?

* How are indexes implemented?  Hash-tables? B-trees?
  How many secondary indexes can I have?

* What query language(s) are supported?

* What report generation facilities are available?

* What type of facility for creating custom data-entry forms exists?

* Are atomic transaction facilities implemented?

* What type of data-integrity safe-guards are implemented?  audit-trails?

* Is there a C (or other language) interface?

At this point, I have run out of ideas for questions.  I am not much of
a database wizard, so I don't know what more to ask.  I would
appreciate it greatly if someone more experienced in this area would
help me ask the right questions, and analyze tradeoffs.

Please respond via mail.  I'll summarize to interested individuals, or
to the net if there are enough requests.  I'm new to net-news, so I'll
apologize for bringing this up if the discussion has occured
recently--I missed it.

Thanx in advance for the assistance...
--
-- Greg McGary        {decvax!cca,harvard,mit-eddie}!lmi-angel!gm