terminfo, termcap, etc

Kenneth Ng ken at njitcccc.UUCP
Tue May 20 23:38:31 AEST 1986

In article <299 at enmasse.UUCP>, keith at enmasse.UUCP (Keith Crews) writes:
> While we are on the subject of terminfo, does anyone know of a documented
> list of terminfo entries that are sufficient to allow curses to work
> properly, if not optimally, in all cases?
I have found that the minimal requirements are (I think): col
and row numbers, clear screen, cursor addressing, and indexing.
By indexing Un*x means the control sequence to scroll the screen
up a line.  About a month back I played with writing one from
scratch, and the indexing feature was the one feature I left
out, and vi always used the open mode till I put it in.  But
of course the manual does not say what the minimal requirements
are, I guess they just assume you can read minds.

Just a clarification: by scrolling up a line I mean what happens
on a dumb terminal when you reach the bottom of the screen and
type a <cr> or a <lf>.

--
Kenneth Ng: uucp(unreliable) ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!njitcccc!ken
	    bitnet(prefered) ken at njitcccc.bitnet

New Jersey Institute of Technology
Computerized Conferencing and Communications Center
Newark, New Jersey 07102

Vulcan jealousy: "I fail to see the logic in prefering Stan over me"
Number 5: "I need input"