(relatively) cheap Unix boxes summary

Bill Lee lee at cyb-eng.UUCP
Sat May 3 08:50:36 AEST 1986

Since I didn't see the original posting, I don't know if these Unix
boxes fit the criteria. However, most of the boxes mentioned don't fit
into my idea of cheap. If you are looking for a cheap Unix box for
personal use, here are a few possibilities.

$3250 -	Cyb Systems Workmate I
	8MHz M68000, 1MB memory (512K no wait state, 512K Multibus mem),
	26MB Tulin disk (1/2 height), 2 RS232 serial ports, Unix System V
	(Uniplus port), and Cyb Reference Manual. Options are replace 26MB disk
	with 40MB Tulin ($300) and replace 8MHz 68000 with 10 MHz 68000 ($250).
	4 slot Multibus card cage.

$3850	Cyb Systems Workmate II
	10 MHz 68000, 1MB memory( same as above), 36MB CDC Wren, 10
	RS232 serial ports, Unix and Cyb manual (see above).
	6 slot Multibus card cage.

$4200	Cyb Systems Workmanager II
	10 MHz 68000, 1MB memory (same as above), 36 MB CDC Wren, 10
	RS232 serial ports, Unix and Cyb manual (see above).
	9 slot Multibus card cage.

These are all desk top configurations, with a footprint slightly larger
than an IBM PC. CPU board is a SUN derivative (not SUN Microsystems, licensed
from Andy). It is \fIvery\fR similar to the SUN-1 CPU with the exception
that it will only support 512K of no wait state memory. Additional memory
is Multibus memory which will induce wait states. For a single user system
though, you may not get out in Multibus memory too often. These machines
are somewhat limited and are end of production machines. I believe they
come with a reasonable warranty and may include a 1 year software support
warranty (free upgrades, bug fixes etc within the first year). Check with
Cyb Systems though to be sure. Unix is complete and includes most "Berkeley
enhancements". Cshell is included. I know that a number of these machines
were sold with 3COM Ethernet controllers and 4.2 networking code. They
support rlogin, rsh, etc. and work fine on an enet with SUNs and Vaxes, etc.
Check with Cyb for network availability.

Additional Caveats. These prices are COD. I don't know who pays freight.
Support may not be very good but these are end of production machines and
most of the problems have been worked out. Also available as an option
is a 12.5MHz 68010 CPU board that supports up to 4MB of no wait state
memory (in addition to Multibus memory). The 12.5 MHz CPU board (with 1
or 2 MB of fast memory) is $1250 (I think). The 8 volume Unix manual set
(the Unisoft set) is $200. It is fairly standard so you could probably
get along with a System V set but you might want the Unisoft set for
things like phys(2), socket(2), etc.

Disclaimer: Cyb Systems is a former employer but I seriously doubt that
this posting or any resulting business will benefit me in any way. I
suppose there is a possibility of a free lunch if they flush their
inventory due to this posting but I don't think so. This posting does
not constitute an endorsement on my part or any claim of suitability
for any purpose. For futher information, contact:

			Cyb Systems, Inc.
			2215 W. Braker Lane
			Austin, Texas 78723
			(512) 835-2266