Question about cpio vs. tar

Christopher Young cycy at isl1.ri.cmu.edu
Thu May 8 17:21:57 AEST 1986

> In article <236 at oucs.UUCP> tim at oucs.UUCP (Tim Thompson) writes:
> >I've been reading the discussion about the shortcomings of multiple tape
> >backups in cpio format. Does tar handle multiple tapes better?
>
> Last I looked, tar didn't handle multiple reels at all.
> --
When did you look last? I've used multiple tar with multiple tapes
plenty of times. I haven't had any problems.

If I were doing backups of the system, however, I'd be more inclined to
use dump and restore.

I can't say I'm terribly fond of cpio, however when using streaming tape
on a 3b2, tar does weird things so that it takes much longer than cpio.
Cpio works better in that case.