Bug in Mail

Steve Lademann steve at miduet.mifnet.gec-mi-ate.co.uk
Wed May 14 01:04:17 AEST 1986

No doubt this is old hat, but for your edification:-

There is a bug in /usr/ucb/Mail which occurs when a system name is
rather long (as they tend to be when dealing with domain addresses in
the uk). This occurred to me when I attempted to reply (r, not R) to
mail from a local system whose fully qualified name was 30 characters.
The problem exhibits itself as a random crash (either illegal
instruction or core dump) which occurs in the routine netlook in
/usr/src/ucb/Mail/optim.c

The fix is to increase the size of the temporary buffer for the system
name nbuf[20] (line 95). I increased it to 40, as there seems to be
quite a lot of other stuff with a length of 40 chars, and why should I
be different?

"Beware the Juggernauts, my son" (Willie Rushton)
|Steve Lademann         |Phone: 44 727 59292 x326               |
|Marconi Instruments Ltd|UUCP : ...mcvax!ukc!hrc63!miduet!steve |
|St. Albans    AL4 0JN  |NRS  : steve at uk.co.gec-mi-ate.mifnet   |
|Herts.   UK            |                                       |