mkdir(2) on System V

cabo at tub.UUCP cabo at tub.UUCP
Fri May 2 05:09:00 AEST 1986

/***** tub:net.unix-wizar / sun!guy /  9:13 pm  Apr 28, 1986*/
[...]
indicate that people think "mkdir" was in some older version of UNIX, but
removed from System V.  This is totally incorrect.  The "mkdir" system call
appeared in 4.2BSD.   It was not in V7, and wasn't added in S3 or S5.  It
*is*, however, in the IEEE P1003 Portable Operating System Environment's
standard, and as such may well appear in future System V releases.
/* ---------- */

At the Florence EUUG, Andy Rifkin of AT&T gave a talk about AT&T's RFS
and hinted that SysV Rel3 will have mkdir(2) and rmdir(2), but no rename(2).
Obviously, it must have a mkdir(2) if it is to have separate security
domains the super-users of which are not necessarily super-users in
other domains.

BTW, he also hinted at the way they support ioctl(2)s over the wire:
They just hacked up copyin/copyout to do a reverse RPC to reach into
the process space of the calling process.
He didn't mention how they handle the different pointer sizes and different
ioctl parameter block representations with heterogeneous SysV Rel3 networks;
when I asked him he told me that support for ioctls in hetero networks
would have to wait till a later release...

--
Carsten Bormann, <cabo at tub.UUCP == cabo at db0tui6.BITNET>
...!{mcvax,seismo}!unido!tub!cabo