How do I disassociate a process from a terminal?

Andrew Siegel abs at nbc1.UUCP
Tue May 20 00:13:34 AEST 1986

In section 4 of the document "A 4.2BSD Interprocess Communication Primer"
by Leffler, Fabry, and Joy, they describe what a server process should
do before beginning its appointed task.  Step one is to look up its service
definition, and step two is to disassociate itself from the controlling
terminal of the invoker, so as not to receive signals addressed to the
process group of that terminal.

Step one is outlined explicitly in that document, but step two is not.
My question is:  How *does* one go about disassociating a process from
its controlling terminal?

Please reply by mail.  Thanks.

				Andrew Siegel
				NBC Computer Imaging