.cshrc efficiency note

Jordan Hayes jordan at ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU
Mon May 5 14:53:14 AEST 1986

Mike Muuss <mike at BRL.ARPA> writes:

>If your .cshrc contains a like like:
>
>set prompt=\!\ "`hostname`>"\
>
>then this will cause the /bin/hostname program to be run FOR EVERY
>PROMPT that the CSH prints out!

Unless lastcomm is lying, that doesn't happen for me.

This line is best put into a small if like my .cshrc

-----
set path=( ~/bin /etc /usr/{local,new,lib,ucb,bin,hosts,public} /bin . )
if ($?prompt) then
	set filec history=200 notify prompt="`hostname`<\!> "
	source ~/.aliases
endif
-----

So that those things that only need to be done once get done when
you start up the shell. Also, it doesn't waste all kinds of time
when firing up an rsh ...

/jordan