Terminfo()--Ideas needed. System V

Robert L Thurlow robt at molihp.UUCP
Sat May 3 09:07:50 AEST 1986

<>

In article <1135 at bunker.UUCP> ricker at bunker.UUCP (James A. Ricker) writes:
>In curses.h there is a comment to the effect that 64 function keys are supported
>However, the structures in term.h only have members for 0-10 function keys.
>How are you handling this? Any ideas welcome.

    When we  upgraded to HP-UX 5.01, I saw this too, and I got  excited.
I must support  terminals with  SHIFT-able  function  keys, and my logic
said to use terminfo f0-f15 for unshifted versions,  f16-f31 for shifted
versions,  f32-f47  for keys  with  the  control  key, and  f48-f63  for
shift-control.  Tek  4105's  will even do all this,  and all our  decent
terminals  work with shift.  The space IS EVEN  RESERVED in the terminfo
entry.  The snag is that 'tic(1M)'  will only stuff  pointers for f0-f10
into the terminfo file, and 'tgetstr(3)'  will only read f0-f9!  This is
irritating, since I can taste getting those keys legally.  At present, I
use the function key labels l0-l7 for actual  strings  returned by those
shifted  keys,  which is not good,  and I need my own  routine  to think
about  what keys  have been  pressed.  I feel like I could  write my own
terminfo from scratch by now.  Sigh.

#   UUCP : ...!ubc_vision!molihp!robt		Robert Thurlow		#
#   My thoughts are my own, and are void where prohibited by law.	#
#   "There was something fishy aboout the butler.  I think he was a	#
#    Pisces, probably working for scale."	-Nick Danger, 3rd Eye	#