BLITs vs. PCs vs normal terminals

Stanley Friesen friesen at psivax.UUCP
Thu May 1 04:04:33 AEST 1986

In article <256 at brl-smoke.ARPA> moss at BRL.ARPA (Gary S. Moss (SLCBR-VLD-V)) writes:
>Neville writes...
> < ...  Turning it off loses downloaded software.
>What would you expect?  Do you want your program to run on a processor with no
>power?  Do you expect programs loaded in RAM to stay there without power?  Try
>powering down the host computer and see if it does any better.

	I *think* what he is really complaining about is the need to
download the software *every* time you turn th system on, this takes
*time*. It would be nice to just turn the BLIT on and have it work,
just like an ordinary terminal. At least the host computer has a disk
drive to keep the programs on-line when you power it down. What I
would like to see is a BLIT with a bubble memory or battery-powered
static RAM or something like that which retained the downloaded
software when the power is turned off.

--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ??