Memory usage

Marc Greisen marcg at phred.UUCP
Thu May 1 03:20:56 AEST 1986

[crunch...crunch...crunch...]

The system:
	Vax 11/750 running Ultrix 1.1
	2 Ra81 disk drives
	4 megs of memory
	We are a binary site

Problem Definintion:
	When the system boots it recognizes the 4 meg of memory installed,
and says 3 meg is user usable.  I am presuming the kernal is using
the other meg.  When watching the system with the sps program I
have NEVER seen more then 2 meg of memory used for running processes.
Some process get swapped out even with the extra memory unused.
There is not alot of swapping, but there is some.

	Has anyone seen this problem before?  My understanding of the Unix
memory allocation algorithim is limited.  Seems it done on a global type scale
rather then on a per process basis.

	One of the things we tried here was to take the most commonly
run programs and turn on the text-resident bit.  The result was faster
startup time in executing those programs, but memory usage stayed the
same.  If anything a little more swapping is going on.

	How do we utilize all our memory?

Marc Greisen
Physio Control Corp.
Redmond Wa