4.2BSD restore(8)

Roy Smith roy at phri.UUCP
Sun May 11 23:39:05 AEST 1986

	I don't see what all the fuss is about.  In the little over 2 years
that we've been running 4.2, I've had to do exactly one level 0 restore
(when DEC swapped the HDA on our disk).  At least on our system (4 Meg 750,
TU-80, RA-81) the restore took about 2-3 times as long as the required
post-restore dump.  In the long run, the extra couple of hours just didn't
make any difference.

	My pet peeve about restore is that when you do "restore -i" to get
into interactive mode, the default is to put "." on the extraction list.
When I want to extract a single file from a backup (the usual case), the
first thing I have to do is "delete ." which takes forever on large file
systems.
--
Roy Smith, {allegra,philabs}!phri!roy
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016