uucp on IX/370

Gunnar Stefansson gunnar at hafro.UUCP
Tue Nov 4 04:17:06 AEST 1986

In article <285 at hafro.UUCP> I asked :

>Does anyone have experience with using uucp over a modem on an IBM
>machine running IX/370 under VM ?

and whether anyone had tried receiving news on these machines.

Since I've been asked to post a summary of the replies, here we go
(the replies are interpreted by me -- I accept responsibility for
possible misinterpratation) :

There were only two replies, neither of whom was from a person who
had experience with IX/370. I wonder if that means that there is no
IBM machine on the net ? :-)

One reply was from an Amdahl person, who said they were running uucp
and the netnews software under UTS with no problems. No comments
about IX/370. The other reply was from a person who had worked close
to an IX/370-system. The claim was that uucp running on even a big IBM
would not work very well. This would not be the fault of the IBM or
IX/370, but the Series/1 front end and its serial interfaces. The
serial lines were claimed to be poorly designed so that the S/1 can
only support one or two 1200 baud uucp connections (even then with
lost characters).

Note that these claims are not mine. Some response would be well
appreciated, though.

--Gunnar