terminfo and curses

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Sat Nov 8 17:59:17 AEST 1986

> >	A 30K curses program on the 6350 is 60K on the 8000.
> >
> >	A non-curses program on the 8000 is typically 25%
> >	smaller than the identical C code on the 6350
> >	because of optimization.
> >
> 1)	I don't know about the differences between a 6350 and an 8000
> 	but, do you know if the compiler is the exact same on both systems?

>From his statements, it seems to me as if he knows that the compiler is, in
fact, NOT the same on both systems - and that it produces BETTER code on the
machine where the "curses" program is bigger!

> 2)	Terminal-independent code is most likely going to be larger than
> 	terminal-specific code. Trade-offs ya know :)

What does that have to do with the price of eggs?  He isn't comparing the
size of a piece of terminal-independent code with a piece of
terminal-specific code here.  He's saying that the "curses" code
on the 6350 is smaller than the "curses" code on the 8000 - you can argue
that both versions of "curses" are terminal-independent (because they're
use the terminal databases "termcap" and "terminfo", respectively, to guide
their actions).  He mentioned the non-curses program just to show that the
compiler is probably not at fault here - the program in question is bigger
on the 8000 because "curses" is bigger on the 8000.
--
	Guy Harris
	guy at sun.com (or guy at sun.arpa)