VAX 785 won't fully boot

Amos Shapir amos at instable.UUCP
Mon Nov 3 00:42:38 AEST 1986

We had something similar on a 785 with 4.3 and 2 eagles; the
mchk was in our case (different messages though) due to a memory controller
bug not caught by DEC's diagnostics (try moving memory boards around to
other controllers to prove it!). The mem bug might have caused a bad dma
transfer, and your uda just hit a bad block at a soft spot in the file system;
as it does its own bad block forwarding, you may have ended with a corrupted
file system.
WARNING: do not attempt full restore off a tape created on a corrupted
file system! use only for individual files, and even then *very* cautiously -
bad block appear as 'holes' in the dump, which the restore ignores, thus
getting wrong blocks into files.
I hope this may help (or at least encourage) you in your misery.
	Good Luck - you'll need it
--
	Amos Shapir

National Semiconductor (Israel)
6 Maskit st. P.O.B. 3007, Herzlia 46104, Israel
(01-972) 52-522261  amos%nsta at nsc
34.48'E 32.10'N