Disk partitioning -- some thoughts

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Sun Nov 2 09:32:33 AEST 1986

In article <132 at ccicpg.UUCP> gershon at ccicpg.UUCP ( Gershon Shamay) writes:
>2) A special ioctl to the disk driver allows root to WRITE [the
>partition] table.  Any other writes to this area are quietly ignored.

I am not sure I like that.  Noisily ignored, or quietly overwritten,
but quietly ignored . . . ?  It does not feel right.

>	That's how dd's and the like CAN"T ruin the drive info.
>	You even get an error message if something is currently
>	mounted on this drive.

Then it is not quiet.

4.4BSD (or 9BSD or whatever the next release is called---assuming
there *is* a next release) is likely to have a very similar scheme.
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu