CYBER word length, a different viewpoint

Ed Gould ed at mtxinu.UUCP
Fri Nov 21 05:53:43 AEST 1986

In article <197 at bsiao.UUCP> uh at bsiao.UUCP (Uul Haanstra) writes:
>Cybers and Real Time Computing
>
>I always thougt that the Cyber used 60 bit words so that the counting
>of seconds and minutes would be easier.  ...
>                         The difference between AM and PM can be maintained
>as follows: during AM hours, the CPU runs in user mode; when 12 bits are one,
>issue an XJ and switch to monitor mode, and start the same process.
>
>I may be wrong though...

Except on some models - at least of the 6400 - there wasn't a monitor mode
or an XJ instruction.  It cost an extra $10,000 to have CDC hook up
the wire that allowed XJ.  Oh, well...

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2560 Ninth St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."