Venix parallel printer port problems

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.COM
Mon Nov 10 02:40:08 AEST 1986

In article <1281 at megaron.UUCP> wendt at megaron.UUCP writes:

>My Venix system V is apparently sending out a reset on the parallel
>port whenever you open /dev/lp.  This has horrible effects on the
>epson printer, namely:  if the printer is offline, it puts it online;
>the printer's internal buffer is trashed; and top of form is set to
>the current position on the page (wherever it is).  So if you cat
>Alan Wendt

Clipping the RESET wire in the cable or breaking off the pin on one end
is usually the simplest and most effective cure.  The problem is that on
real Centronics printers, the RESET signal did no more than clear the
line buffer.  Thus asserting RESET on an open would have been fairly
harmless and prehaps beneficial...

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at seismo.css.GOV